Dear Pre-K Families,
It’s the magic time of Storytelling in Pre-K! We are starting our “How We Express Ourselves” Unit of Inquiry in which students will be thinking about different ways to express ideas through stories and showing their creativity.
Central Idea: Stories can be expressed and interpreted in many ways.
Lines of Inquiry that will define the scope of our inquiry into the central idea:
- Ways stories are expressed
- Ways people respond to and retell stories
- Creating and expressing our own stories
All throughout this unit, we are discussing and exploring various means of storytelling. Through Guided Inquiry students are investigating what the creators need to think about while crafting a story. During the Open Inquiry time, students are learning different ways of storytelling and special skills required for those.
Each student will explore the different storytelling spaces created for them in our Pre-K classrooms:
- Drama area with a stage and costumes
- Puppet theatre
- Shadow theatre
- Green Screen studio
- Animation Studio
- Book Making and Publishing areas
- Art Studio
- Tech Apps Storytelling Studio
Ways you can help at home:
- Help your child notice the different ways we share and tell stories at home or during family day trips (theatre visits, gallery walks, camping, meeting with relatives online…). Take pictures or draw them and encourage your child to share his/her understanding in class.
- Read books or watch movies and talk about who the characters are, in what setting the story takes place, what problem the characters are trying to solve and how do they do it.
- Please speak with your child’s teacher if you would like to come in virtually and share a story with the class. Maybe you have a favorite book you’d like to read to students. Maybe you can read a well known story in a language different than English? Maybe you have a way of sharing stories that other children may not have experienced – something specific to your culture.
- Create stories with your child at home during play time!
The Pre-K Team