Dear 4th Grade parents,
Happy Goal Setting Conference Day! We would like to share the following information with you. Please let us know if you have any questions.
This year, grade 4 has decided to try having mixed groups for word study. Each Monday, from 8:45am to 9:35am, students will go to different classrooms to be introduced to their word study sorts and the words they will be studying. Students will keep these same words for two weeks.
How can you help your student at home?
- Ask them what pattern they are studying in word study.
- Have them find examples of words that fit their pattern in the books they’re reading.
- Have them tell you a story using some of their word study words in their story.
Resources For Home
Some parents have asked for extra” things for their students to do at home to practice math, reading, Unit of inquiry etc. We have compiled a list of websites with free activities and FREE apps for your devices at home.
- Kid’s Math Dictionary
- Illustrative Math (Grade 2) – click on ‘Tasks’ for more problem solving opportunities
- Inside Mathematics – Problem of the Month – We will do some of these in class. Usually problem A and/or B. For a challenge, try B or C!
- Math Teaching Resources – Grade 4 Math Activities
- Virtual Manipulatives Library
- Learn Zillion
Free iPad Applications for Math
- Number Pieces Basic (from www.mathlearningcenter.org/apps)
- Number Frames (from www.mathlearningcenter.org/apps)
- Number Rack (from www.mathlearningcenter.org/apps)
- Number Line (from www.mathlearningcenter.org/apps)
- Pattern Shapes (from www.mathlearningcenter.org/apps)
- Geoboard (from www.mathlearningcenter.org/apps)
- Virtual Manipulatives (from ABCya.com)
- http://www.readworks.org/books/passages (free, must sign up for an account)
Units of Inquiry
- http://library.aas.ru/common/servlet/presenthomeform.do?l2m=Home&tm=Home&l2m=Home (Click –> Databases)
The Grade 4 Team